Monday, May 31, 2010

Hope

Main Entry: 1hope
Pronunciation: \ˈhōp\
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): hoped; hop·ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English hopian; akin to Middle High German hoffen to hope
Date: before 12th century
intransitive verb 1 : to cherish a desire with anticipation <hopes for a promotion>
2 archaic : trusttransitive verb 1 : to desire with expectation of obtainment
2 : to expect with confidence : trust

We have been without a car for nearly 6 months now.  Six looooooong months.  We have hated it, cursed wildly about it, and even laughed about it.  Things could always be worse, we say.  Times are tough, things are rough, and we are trudging along and doing the very best we can. 

My children – ahhhhh…..my girls.  Can I just say how awesome they are?  Well, they are.  Not only are they smart, funny, and totally gorgeous, but they are very, very patient and understanding.  They have not once complained about our lack of transportation and being stuck at home most of the time.  They have been beyond wonderful.  I seriously owe them – big time. 

On Friday I got a call from my dad.  He said he had found a great car for us, was there with it, and wanted to know what I thought.  Um.  What?!?!  All I heard was something about birthday, Christmas, birthday……etc., etc.  I think I had momentarily stopped breathing and forgot where I was.  Did I just hear the word CAR?  A car?!  Us?? 

I ran in to go talk to Alex for a minute, though he was on the phone.  I’m not sure he could figure out what the look on my face was all about.  He said I looked upset, but I was already crying like a baby and couldn’t quite talk.  I finally got him off the phone and explained that I was not upset.  :) 
After I talked to Alex, I called my dad back.  He was telling me that he had been looking at cars for us for a while now.  *Sigh*  You know, it’s one thing to be alone on an island and trying to find your way off.  It’s another thing when someone throws you a lifeline.  This was a lifeline. 

Alex and I (along with thousands of other people) are trying to get out of this hole we are in.  It is not something we did on purpose, it is not something we caused, we are just one of the families affected by this crappy economy and changes in business.  But, like a vicious circle, we could not get a car without money, and for Alex to go get a second job anywhere at all requires a car.  No car, no money, no money, no car.  No sanity!!!! 

And then my parents called.  :)  They are driving down in a few weeks in a shiny 2005 Kia Sedona which will be lovingly placed into our care.  It is silver – of course!

After I got off the phone with my dad and got some pictures, I went to tell the girls.  I left the picture up on my computer and sniffled my way to their room.  I was still sobbing like a baby.  I opened their door and attempted to tell them, but had to bring them into my office to show them the picture.  I got out a few words, and pointed to the screen.  Hannah put her face in her hands and started crying.  Kali jumped up and down like it was Christmas morning.  I cried more.

I showed them the pictures and then they left for a few minutes.  When they got back, they told me they had named the car.  We have named all of our cars.  There was Big Bessie, Little Bessie, and Jack (Mary has Jack).  So I was curious as to what this cars’ name would be.  My girls – my fabulous, patient girls named the car…………HOPE.  OMG.  I cried again.  Hope.  How fitting.

Here is Hope:
DSC04756-2
This is what I found on the white board in the school room this morning:
DSC08746
Yeah.  They are so dang excited.  The girls are telling us everywhere they want to go.  The list is growing by the minute.  I will just be happy to not feel like we are stuck here.  As for Alex, we have now sent out many, many, many resumes all over the place.  Knowing that we can widen our search makes things more hopeful.  Hope.  Things will turn around.  Things are going to get better.  My friends have been fantastic – coming here, driving me around, taking me wherever I need to go, and listening to me complain.  Thank you, all.  I would have completely lost what was left of my mind if y’all had not come to rescue me! 

This gift that is arriving is beyond anything I would ever expect.  I am still speechless, stunned, and teary-eyed.  I am not sure they know how much this means to us, and there are no words to express every dang emotion that runs through me at this point.  So I simply have this – mom & dad, thank you.  Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.  We love you, and not because you are driving down a really cute and awesome van for us.  Because you are driving down Hope.  ♥

No comments: