Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My ramblings on food and health.

 

I truly believe that ‘you are what you eat.’  No, I don’t think if you eat cake you will turn into a cake.  But if you eat healthy, exercise, and generally take care of yourself, you will be healthy.  If you eat processed foods, sit around all the time, and don’t take care of yourself, your body will not be healthy.  It will not be able to fight off germs and diseases since it’s too busy trying to deal with all the processed food stuff you are shoving into it. 

I’m sure you’ve read my posts about Kali’s “issues” and those of you that know her, know what I’m talking about.  We know she can’t have food with artificial dyes in them, unless you want her head to spin and then have her melt down in a puddle for hours.  My poor baby.  Sad smile  But I realized something the other day, though I don’t know why it took me so long to figure it out.  We gave up meat and dairy at the end of October, and since then she has improved 100%!!  No hours of crying (though those were thankfully few and far between at that point), no sadness, no hiding under the kitchen table, nothing.  Just usual kid stuff.  OMG!  Amazing. 

How many people keep medicating their kids because they find that the easiest thing to do?  Sad.  Here kids, eat this fake food, have issues, and then we’ll medicate the symptoms instead of getting to the root of the problem.  Ugh.

Then there’s me – the old chick.  I run, I eat fairly well, and I do my best to stay really active.  But I was tired.  Oh so very tired.  And cold.  Or hot.  And foggy, you know, like when you first wake up in the morning.  And crabby, amongst other things.  Did I run my butt to the doctor and say “fix my symptoms?”  No.  I did some research on my old self, came to the conclusion that my thyroid was falling asleep as much as I was, and gave it what it wanted – iodine.  So I take kelp and bladderwrack every day, and within a few days, I was up before the alarm as usual.  Why can’t my body be low on chocolate?!?!? 

So do me a favor, if you aren’t already putting yourself first, do it now.  Don’t wait.  Don’t wait until you’ve neglected yourself so much that you just keep neglecting yourself.  Sure, it might not be easy, but easy is hardly ever the best choice. 

Eat healthy, take care of yourself, and exercise.  You might live long either way, but don’t you want to live instead of just existing?

2 comments:

Nessa said...

Beautiful mama! Your post brought me to tears. I am so very happy that Kali is 100% better! That is the greatest news!

So very true and I so wish more people would open their eyes and listen. I loved "then we’ll medicate the symptoms instead of getting to the root of the problem". That is the American way. The way the insurance companies are making their money and why healthcare is so high. Then when you said "Don’t wait until you’ve neglected yourself so much that you just keep neglecting yourself." Brilliant! Can I link your post on my blog?

Domestic Goddess Designs said...

Hey mama! Link away! :) Kali still has her 'issues' but they aren't very noticeable at all anymore. Yay!

Just got done reading your blog updates, too. Kristjan is a hoot!

We must get together soon!