Thursday, October 29, 2009

Thursday baking.

I woke up this morning and realized I had some bananas that were about to go south on me, so I figured I better make some banana bread.


So I got all of my ingredients ready to go. Yes, that is white sugar on my cart. Yes, I am not happy about it. For those of you that really know me, you know that I haven't had white crack sugar in my pantry in years. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, and right now I'm cookin' with the white crack. ;) Someday I shall be crack free again. I don't know why the veggie oil is there, it wasn't in the recipe. Hmmm.....I am odd.

I learned something a few weeks ago when I went to Williams-Sonoma for a baking class. If you are making sweet breads, don't grease and flour your pan, grease and sugar it. Yes. Lube it up and sugar it up.


Here is my greased and sugared loaf pan with my banana bread batter resting in it for a few minutes.


All done and cooling off. See the sugar around the edges?


MMmm.....can you smell it? You know you want some. I had grand delusions and wanted to run and eat the entire thing by myself. Slathered in butter. With a huge mug of coffee. Then I realized my butt would no longer fit through the door if I did that. Damn. So I just had one piece, no butter, and no coffee. It was still delicious and my pants aren't screaming at me.


Yummy.

Then I thought we needed some garlic herb bread with our dinner tonight.


Resting dough after it had risen and been punched down. Yeah dough, I beat you down, so there. I would have taken pictures of the finished product, but there was other cooking involved and I totally forgot. Use your imagination. ;)

Kali is finally starting to feel better. My poor baby has been sick for 5 1/2 days now. Today she was up playing for most of the day and is now watching TV with Hannah and daddy. I'd bet the dollar that's in my wallet that she had H1N1; Hannah, too, for that matter when she was sick 2 weeks ago. Hopefully she'll be back to her normal self by Saturday so she can go Trick-or-Treating!

No comments: